Below contains in-depth information on Chapter 1 of Dead of Night.
Chapter 1 of 21
Storm's Point of View
- In the clearing outside the Pack's camp, dogs swarm around the edges of Storm's vision like panicking shadows, howling and yapping in grief and terror.
- The sunlight of the Sun-Dog brushes the treetops, but did not reach the ground. The light underneath the treetops is gray, like the corpse at Storm's paws. Whisper is laying dead at her feet. Storm sinks to her belly, thinking that a dog did this, while staring into Whisper's lifeless eyes.
- She looks over his terrible wounds, from his raked flank and stomach to his torn throat. His blood is fed to the Earth-Dog. Storm had seen dead dogs before, but she had never seen a dog who looked so surprised as Whisper did in his death, with his slightly open jaw and wide eyes as if surprised.
- She wonders who did this to him, painting and shuddering as she breathed. She felt cold. Storm's Packmates are still whining and circling Whisper's body. Bruno paces anxiously. Sunshine quivers at the foot of a tree, hiding her face behind a clump of grass.
- She is vaguely aware of a dog howling to follow the scent, and a few dogs crash through the bushes and into the trees. Daisy and Rake are among them, then joined by Mickey. Despite the efforts, Storm thinks to herself that Whisper can not be saved, and his wounds are drying. His killer would be far away now.
- Sweet howls with rage at who did this in their territory. She demands to know the dogs who were on patrol last night. Thorn and Breeze come forward, although Breeze is stepping on shaky paws. Breeze comes to her side, giving a reassuring nudge. She glances back at Whisper's body, stating that they were running the border of the camp all night and neither of them saw anything.
- Storm thinks that the killer must have been learning the Patrol Dog habits, and that it was not hard to avoid a Patrol Dog patrol if they knew what to look for. At first, she considers an outsider, but then shakes her head, because it made no sense. Sweet glares at the two of them, and says that their patrol failed.
- Dart, Beetle, and Omega all howl in agreement and distress. Sunshine whines, asking what it meant. Dart dips her head, her ears flattened to her skull, asking if their patrols were useless.
- Moon runs from the High Watch, and tries to give advice on the ordeal to Alpha. Sweet glares at her, and says that they will not rest, and that Moon would stay on High Watch unless she said otherwise. Finally, Lucky comes forward. Alpha leans on him with a sigh. He states that Whisper's death must be avenged, and quickly.
- Storm barks a "Yes" along with the others. Then Lucky accuses the foxes of this act, because they attacked their camp. The dogs howl their approval, although Storm does not believe them. There was no fox-scent.
- Moon then nudges Sweet back towards the camp, since the pups need to be still. The rest of the pack then gathers around Twitch to try and form a plan. Storm (although torn about leaving Whisper) catches up with Lucky and Sweet, Sweet tells Lucky to stay and talk with Storm while she returns to camp. Storm then tells Lucky that she suspects the foxes didn't kill Whisper, but that a dog did. Lucky is very reluctant to believe her, and commands her not tell any other dogs about her "ridiculous" theory.
- More Coming Soon