|"Sweet's right. If the Storm of Dogs is real, if it's coming, it is better that we're all prepared. Every last one of us has fought against hardships and learned to cope in an altered world. Soon we may have to fight once more, to battle for our very existence, perhaps for the last time. No dog here will stand alone. We are the Wild Pack; we are survivors! If the Storm of Dogs is coming, we will meet it together. "|
|— Lucky to the Wild Pack in The Endless Lake, page 304|
Yap (Pup Pack)
- Lucky seems very independent and clever. One of Lucky's special skills is being able to navigate the city. He is known for his reputation as a Lone Dog , and can easily care for himself alone. He seems to be proud himself in knowing the ways of a city. He shows kindness in showing the Leashed Pack some of his survival skills and also teaching them how to hunt and scavenge.
- Lucky is first seen as a young pup named Yap, snuggled next to his littermates, Squeak, Yowl, and Yip. Squeak clambers over him, waking him up from his dream and announces that Mother-Dog will be telling them a story. He begs her to tell them about the Storm of Dogs, and she agrees, recalling the tale of Lightning and Earth-Dog.
In the Original Series
- Lucky is being held in the Trap House, along with his new companion, Sweet. He, along with other dogs being held, sense something dangerous and dark coming. Soon after confiding his fears to Sweet, who agrees with him, the Earth started to shake, making his cage, and him, bounce wildly. Almost as soon as the Big Growl had begun, it stopped. During the rumble, Sweet's cage broke, allowing her to escape and help Lucky. While trying to get him out, he injures his paw trying to break the cage wiring. Then they safely find their way out of the Trap House, and into the city.
- They then go in search of food, first taking rotten scraps from the garbage, then go in search of a Food House. Soon the Food House is found, in shambles from the disaster, and after several minutes of begging at the door, they sneak inside. Upon entering they find a dying longpaw, which has been known to feed leftovers to Lucky. Lucky confronts the man as he dies. After the longpaw dies, Sweet declares she doesn't like his city and she belongs in a pack. She gets lost as she tries to find the exit, and Lucky pins her down trying to convince her to stay. Then Sweet tells him he can come too, but Lucky refuses. Sweet runs away upon his denial and he tries to catch her, then decides he is better off without her, for he is a Lone Dog.
- After Lucky sees Sweet go away, he wanders around the city. After encountering a unfriendly cat he wanders into the mall and meets up with Old Hunter. He smells food asks Old Hunter for some, and Old Hunter growls at Lucky, saying that he worked hard to guard his meat, as it might be the only food left. Suddenly Lucky realizes that Old Hunter is in danger from a loosely hanging power cord and warns him. Old Hunter is grateful that Lucky saved his life and gives him some meat to take along with him.
- Lucky exits the room and goes back to the main mall, where a gang of foxes find him and start to chase him. They keep up the chase until Lucky is cornered. When he finally thinks he will have to give them the meat, a "pack" of dogs come in and manage to chase away the foxes. Lucky is skeptical of this pack, as they seem nothing like wild dogs. The dog who seems the most like the leader confronts Lucky, and Lucky quickly realizes this dog is his sister. She tells him that her new name is Bella, and Lucky replies that it's a beautiful name. Shortly after meeting the pack Lucky notices their collars and realizes they are leashed dogs. Suddenly Sunshine, one of the dogs, realizes that the foxes injured her paw and begins to dance around wildly, barking crazily. Lucky calms her down and shows her how to treat her paw. The other dogs are amazed and beg him to stay with them at least for the night. Lucky reluctantly agrees and all the dogs bark happily. Lucky sleeps next to Bella in a chair for the night with the rest of the "pack".
- Bella tells Lucky the story of Omega Wind and Forest-Dog to Lucky, since he had told her that he had forgotten. Once the story is finished, she tells him that he reminds her of that story.
- When the next day arrives, he notices that the Sky-Dogs have destroyed that clouds and that it was good. The dogs think that they may return home, but Lucky tells them that they can't. They invite him to come along, and he decides that he would stay for a little while.
- Bruno begins explaining to Lucky about how they were long before the Big Growl. The dogs start telling him about the dog parks, wondering if the sandpit was still there. Martha invites him to come with them when their longpaws return. He tries to not allow his muzzle to curl, and he questions if it's exactly like a Pack since they are friends.
- Sunshine tells him it wasn't like a wild Pack, but Bella explains how it's like a pack, but to Lucky, her thought on a Pack is wrong.
- As the leashed dogs are wishing one another farewell and happy dreams, Lucky stares around in confusion. He questions Bella if they should sleep in her longpaw home, and she tells him that the Big Growl had left. He reminds her that it can return. He thinks they should sleep outside, rather than inside the broken longpaw home, but they go inside her house anyway to sleep.
- Lucky whines that he couldn't sleep in the house, but Bella tells him that nothing would happen, but once she fidgets another time, she gets to her paws, agreeing with him that higher ground was better. Right after that, the floor starts to ripple beneath their paws, and the two dogs bolted out of the house for their lives. Before they can warn the others, the rest of the Leashed Dogs are seen running from their homes. Martha and Daisy start to make their way back home, but Lucky orders they stay.
- Bella tells her brother that a dog named Alfie is trapped inside a house. The Leashed Dogs start talking as if the dog is already dead, but Lucky says that he's still alive. Bruno says he would go with Lucky to save him, which Lucky responds that Bruno would make a good pack dog.
- They are successful in saving the young dog, which Lucky starts to speak with Bella about it. Before he can say a word, she tell him that she was thinking about every dog. He tries to sound kind when he tells her that she's making excuses, but she bristles.
- She tells him that she wasn't making excuses, and if he got hurt, it would've been his own fault. He replies that he can always look after himself, as he is a Lone Dog. The littermate's argument is interrupted by Sunshine, who gives a wailing whine, saying that Daisy has gone missing. Lucky wonders of what trouble Daisy has gotten herself into. He finds Daisy's house and sees the small dog. He snatches her collar, and returns her to her friends, beginning to lick her face fiercely. Lucky orders the dogs to get away from her, thinking she might die.
- When Daisy awakes, Lucky is relieved that she lived. He demands why she had left, and she responds that she disliked the fact that her friends were fighting, so she got scared and left. Lucky tells her to not do it again, which she agrees.
- Lucky tries to persuade the Leashed Pack to leave the city. Bella is reluctant to do so, though Lucky and her argue over this matter until Lucky finds a logical reason to win the argument. After this, the dogs leave the city behind in search of a new home to reside.
- The dogs are in desperate need for water, when at last a river comes into view. Alfie happily runs off to go and drink some, though Lucky knows that the River-Dog has been sickened and the water is unwell. Lucky quickly dashes after Alfie, thankful for that his legs were longer. He pins the pup down, explaining to him that he couldn't drink the water as the River-Dog was sick and unwell. Bella tells the younger dog that he shouldn't be so impulsive, making Alfie apologize to the elder dogs.
- Right after this event, Bruno scents longpaws, causing all the Leashed Dogs to grow excited. Lucky knows these aren't regular longpaws, so he begins to protest, when Daisy runs off to greet them. The longpaws kick her away, and she is shocked and saddened on this. Daisy tries a second time, though Lucky rushes over to her and stops her. Once she obeys, she is told about the bad longpaws. Mickey states that he had never seen a longpaw be so terrible to a dog, which Lucky replies darkly that he had, as his longpaw had abused him.
- Bella shows slight sympathy toward him, though she is more concerned about Daisy at the moment. Lucky tells the pack that they needed to get further from the longpaws as quickly as possible, and the sooner they were gone, the sooner they'd be.
- As they continue onward, the dogs begin to complain. Lucky keeps trying to encourage them, though he is getting irritated with their complaints. Mickey begins to complain himself, much to Lucky's dislike. He tells them that they needed to keep going. Alfie protests about this, and Lucky says that just because a dog was tired or had a slight injury didn't mean that a dog had to just stop moving. Bruno agrees with him before they resume.
- The dogs encounter another river, and Alfie questions if this one was poisoned. Lucky says no, and orders that they use their noses to see its condition. All the dogs join into the water, splashing and playing around. Lucky warns the dogs to be careful, as the River-Dog could be tricky.
- When they got out, Sunshine checks her paw and say it doesn't hurt as much, he advises to clean the paw again. Alfie exclaims that he can't believe Sunshine has a battle scar. When the dogs are hungy, they look at Lucky. He knows he doesn't have any food, and so, teaches him how to hunt.
- When Lucky wonders where Bruno is, and hears a heavy splash. It seemed like Bruno was struggling, Bruno going in deeper. Martha jumps in, and saves him. They are concerned about Martha, and Bruno. Lucky compliments Martha's swimming. Lucky thinks that she is a good fighter. Bruno was stuggling to stand, licking Martha's chest with gratitude. Lucky then knew that one day, he'll be a lone dog once again.
- When the dogs are asleep, Lucky has a dream about the Storm of Dogs. He heard whimpering, and he wondered why it had to go on. Thinking that he was a coward, when he thinks for a moment if the dogs were drowning, he wanted to beg to the Sky-Dogs. They were trapped in rubble, caught, crashed becausr the trap house had fell. Lucky heard Sweet's voice, saying to come on. He ran after her, knowing other dogs coming. He fled, but when he looked back, their was nothing but darkness. It was the Storm of Dogs, or so Lucky thought.
- More Coming Soon
- Lucky is first seen in this book running back to the pack because he could hear his pack fighting with the Wild Pack. He then rushes up to start sneaking towards them. Than Alfie sees him, and attacks the alpha. The alpha easily swipes Alfie away and he is injured. After this another Big Growl starts, a tree falls and a crack opens in the ground, and both packs run in different directions. Lucky stays as one of the Wild Pack dogs had fallen into the crack, but was still hanging onto the edge. Lucky realizes that it is Sweet, and he helps her out. The two dogs reunite happily. Sweet tries to convince him to join the Wild Pack, but he declines, as the Leashed Pack needed help.
- Lucky finds the Leashed Pack, where Alfie is badly injured. Lucky knows that Alfie is dying, and it is confirmed that Alfie dies. Sunshine is grief-stricken. Lucky and Bruno bury Alfie by the river.
- Bella goes and talks to Lucky, to discuss something she has in mind. The plan is that he joins the Pack, and find out their resources, and report back at a Longpaw camp site.
- More Coming Soon
- Lucky is demoted to Omega for siding with the leashed dogs. According to the Law of Dogs, Alpha has to scar Lucky permanently so all will remember he is a traitor. Right before Alpha marks Lucky with the scar, a black cloud appears and the dogs leave their home to avoid the strange cloud.
- After Lucky is leading the other dogs away from danger, they all sleep. When he wakes up, in the early morning, he hears Sweet and Bella arguing about Twitch. They say, that he left. When Alpha pads over to them, he banishes Lucky, saying that he's bad luck. When Lucky sets off, he scents another dog, Twitch. He first follows the trail, but stops, and sets off toward the city. Trying to find Mickey, when he does. Mickey is hiding in a alley way, while longpaws are taking stuff out of his house. Mickey wants to scare them, Lucky shows him how, he says how longpaws don't know what a dog's thinking. Telling him to curl his lips, they do so, and the longpaws are frightened and run away. Lucky hears that Mickey is giving up on his longpaws, and thinks that he should let It out.
- Lucky and Mickey set off again, and have to go toward the fierce dog garden. When Lucky scents a few dogs, he and Mickey go in. Finding nothing but pups, Lucky says we can't abandon them. They take the pups, and name them, Grunt, Lick, and Wiggle. When they scent danger, they take shelter. Lick accidently gets stuck in a hollow, Mickey and Lucky helps her. Leaving once again, going toward Wild Pack.
- Finally there, Alpha confronts them. Saying why they have come back, they answer and are allowed to say, but Lucky must be Omega.
- More Coming Soon
- Coming soon
- Coming soon
- Lucky and Sweet are the first two dogs to be named in this new series.
- Lucky considers himself a "lone dog" at first, claiming he doesn't need anyone to help him survive.Cite
- Lucky's Pup Pack name was Yap.
- Lucky was born as a Leashed Dog,Cite but when his longpaws weren't kind, he ran away and became a Lone Dog.Cite
- Unnamed Sheltie: Deceased
= Gender Unknown
- "I like being on my own. I mean, I'm sure a Pack’s best for some dogs, but I've walked alone since I left my Pup Pack. I can look after myself."
- — Lucky to Sweet in The Empty City, page 18
- "At least I'm not a coward! It was not me who was scared of a dead longpaw, was it? You may be impressed with yourself now, but back in the city you were a different dog... you were terrified, helpless... pathetic."
- —Lucky to Sweet in Darkness Falls, page 213
- Lucky: "I told you: I'm not a Pack Dog. I never will be."
- Sweet: "Dogs aren't meant to be alone!"
- Lucky: "I am."
- —Sweet and Lucky in The Empty City, page 35
- "I'm a Lone Dog. I have to be on my own."
- —Lucky to Daisy in The Empty City, page 263
- "I knew Lucky in the city. He was my only Pack when I escaped from the Trap House, and I would be dead if it was not for him. Several times over. He is loyal, brave, strong, and smart. He would be a fine member of this Pack. In fact I asked him to join us before. He said no. If he has changed his mind, that is a piece of good fortune for us. You should welcome such a dog, not chase him away."
- —Sweet about Lucky in A Hidden Enemy, page 102
- "You don't need to worry about me! I can always look after myself - I'm used to it."
- —Lucky to Bella in The Empty City
- "What nonsense. Of course it isn't! You're the bravest, cleverest dog I know. Alpha's just intimidated by you, scared of any challenge to his leadership. He's not half the dog you are! Some dogs would have left the pups in the Dog-Garden, but you didn't. Being with you gives me courage. You'll just have to reason with Alpha. You'll manage it, too - you could charm the rabbits out of their burrows!"
- —Mickey to Lucky in Darkness Falls, page 151
- "They don't have to grow up that way. No dog is born vicious. Just like I wasn't born streetwise. The Fierce Dogs are taught to be aggressive... their lives make them what they are."
- —Lucky to Alpha in Darkness Falls, page 171
- Lucky: "I'll stay because I'm a Pack Dog now. Haven't I proven myself enough for you? I'm surprised you're even speaking to me. Isn't it beneath a Beta to talk to the Omega? Are you taking cover behind the mist, so no dog will see you?"
- Sweet: "Don't be like that, Lucky. I didn't mean to offend you-
- Lucky: "But you have offended me, Sweet. You make me sound like I change my mind every sunup; like I'm not committed to anything, or any dog. Haven't I shown that I can act in the interests of the Pack? Even when it meant letting the pups go? I've tried so hard to do what's right by the Pack - not that you've noticed. Tonight I'll sleep out in a draft, just to remind you and the other high-ranking dogs that I'm the lowest dog, less than nothing. Even though I know there's another way to live, that dogs don't need to be punished and controlled by rank, I'm going to live like a Pack Dog - because that's what I am now."
- —Lucky and Sweet in Darkness Falls, page 272
- 'You disgust me! You despicable traitor. You turned on your own Pack after they mourned for you, taking you for dead! Dishonorable beast! Even now, you show contempt for the laws of the Spirit Dogs! Blade promised that Storm could go free if she passed the Trial, that she would not be harmed!"
- -Lucky to Alpha in The Endless Lake, page 295
- "I see visions of packs clashing, as though every dog in the world has come together for a terrible fight. I don't know when it will happen or if it will happen. But I have realized something. The Fierce Dogs will never leave us alone as long as things aren't settled between the packs. Eventually we will have to stop running. We will need to make a stand, to fight the Fierce Dogs and win!"
- "He's wrong. You showed enormous courage, Storm. Your where you belong."
- -Lucky to Storm in The Endless Lake, page 296
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Revealed in The Empty City, page 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Revealed in A Hidden Enemy, page 103
- ↑ Revealed in The Broken Path Pack List
- ↑ Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 14
- ↑ Citation Needed
- ↑ Revealed in A Hidden Enemy, page 171
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Revealed in A Hidden Enemy Pack List
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 8
- ↑ Revealed in A Hidden Enemy, page 7
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Revealed in The Empty City, page 2
- ↑ Revealed in A Hidden Enemy, page 2
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 229