|"I won't allow it! I'll leave with them. You won't have to worry about the pups after that! But if you try to hurt them you will have to go through me!"|
|— Martha to Alpha in Darkness Falls, page 248|
| Wild Pack|
Leashed Dog, Leashed Pack
| Species |
|Names|| Leashed Dog: Martha |
Patrol Dog: Martha
|Family|| Longpaws (formerly) |
Foster Daughter: Storm
Foster Sons: Fang,Wiggle
| Status|| Deceased (Wounds)|
|Living||The Empty City, A Hidden Enemy, Darkness Falls, The Broken Path, The Endless Lake, Storm of Dogs|
|Dead||Storm of Dogs, A Pack Divided|
Martha is a massive, sleek, large, tall, burly, thick-furred black female Newfoundland with large webbed paws; a broad, shaggy head; a bushy, thick, feathery tail; sturdy legs, a large, jowly, dark face; and dark eyes.
Martha is a Leashed Dog who becomes friends with Mickey, Daisy, Sunshine, Alfie, Bruno, and Bella.
- Martha is part of the Leashed Pack. She makes her first appearance when she is fighting the foxes to help Lucky. Before a fox touches Sunshine, Martha comes to her rescue, hitting the fox away.
- More Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Martha became the foster mother of Storm, Fang, and Wiggle. She helps Lucky keep them in the Wild Pack.
- More Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
To be fixed
- Martha follows Moon's instruction by warming up after the dogs woke up. When the dogs go down to the river to drink, Martha dips a paw in to see if she could swim, but then thinks better of it.
- When the dogs are discussing what the salty smell is, Lucky asks Martha what she thinks since she was a Leashed Dog before. Martha said she didn't know, but it smells familiar.
- As Martha and her friends search for food, she spots a river rabbit. Martha is the first to catch the river rabbit, with some help from Lucky. The dogs eat their prey and Martha gives thanks to the River-Dog.
- When Terror's Pack came to find Twitch, Martha and the other dogs circle him. After Twitch beats Splash in the fight for Alpha, Martha is the first to congratulate Twitch.
- The dogs are coming closer to the Endless Lake when Martha asked where the birds were since their she couldn't hear them. Then the dogs heard the creature on the beach emit a foreign sound. Martha says it didn't sound angry. Martha comments on how tasty the creature would be and that she doesn't think it is a meat eater. When Storm disagrees with Lucky about catching the creature, Martha steps in and comforts her.
- Martha is the one who first spots the Endless Lake. When the Wild Pack gets to the Endless Lake, Martha lets the water run over her paws.
- When the dogs spot the Longpaw camp, Martha asked if there were loudcages and she was right. Then when the dogs spotted the loudcage trail that just looped around Martha commented on how the tracks didn't go anywhere.
- When Bella and Moon argued about going into the city, Martha was said to have ignored the tension. She said she could smell the Pack.
- When Bella snapped at Storm because she accepted what Moon said without question Martha took a protective step toward Storm. When Bella and Moon were snarling at each other over whether they should go to the Longpaw camp, Martha stepped in saying they were angry because of their hunger. She said they should go find food at the Longpaw camp.
- When they were in the Longpaw camp, Martha was sad and whined. Lucky believed it was because she was thinking of her Longpaws.
- Martha was by the toy box, when Bella opens it. Martha said some of the toys look like animals. Martha was panting with excitement at some of the toys when she peered over the edge. Lucky was worried Martha and Bella were longing for their Longpaws again. When Bella asked what the stuff is, Martha said she didn't know.
- Martha is alerted when she hears something splashing. She tells the others to trust her hearing and follow her. Martha follows the source of the sound to a stone building. Martha opens a door with a paw to find fish and water flowing out the side and scoops up some fish in her mouth.
- When the dogs were discussing if they should walk on the sand or go throughout the Longpaw town, Martha said to walk on the sand because they could follow the Pack's scent. When Moon said to go through the town, Martha said she thought Moon wanted to follow the Pack's scent. Moon said they could gain on the Pack if they went through the town. Martha also soothes an argument between Moon and Bella.
- After the dogs discovered the Fierce Dogs lived in the town, Martha suggests keeping Storm away from Blade and her Pack and overrules Storm's wanting to explore the Fierce Dog camp. Martha and the others hid behind some cars while they waited for Lucky, but they were found by three of Blade's Pack.
- Martha and Storm were snarling at some Fierce Dogs when Lucky returned. Martha refuses to leave Storm behind, when she tells Martha to take the others and leave her.
- When the dogs were headed for the wooden platform, Martha led the way. Then when the dogs were jumping into their hiding place, Martha was less graceful. Hooking a rear paw on the ledge to pull herself over.
- When the Leashed Dogs were explaining how the city never really slept, they talked about how it had little fires. Martha was quite defensive when she said they were safe and saves Storm from Bella.
- Martha and the others sleep in the cave for the night. When the ocean trapped the dogs in, Martha went out and saw how bad it was. She said it was freezing and they wouldn't be able to swim out.
- When Lucky came up with the idea to stay in a line and follow the tunnel out back Martha said she would go last. Lucky knew that Martha's instinct was to get away as quickly as she could so Lucky was touched by her selflessness.
- As they were leaving, Martha said the sand was going away. As the dogs were going farther up the tunnel, Martha said the water was rising. Lucky knew it would be bad for Storm and Martha at the rear. Martha barked stop because Storm was gone. Martha started barking and Lucky told her to be quiet. When Storm came up Martha and Moon helped her.
- When the dogs met up with the Pack, Mickey saw Martha as she stepped out of the trees. When Alpha refused to accept Storm's name Martha told him to be reasonable and licks Storm.
- As the dogs were drinking from the pond, Martha and Storm splash around. When Mickey and Snap called Storm by her true name instead of Lick, Martha said that Alpha said it was a fake ceremony. On the dogs' first full day with the Pack, Lucky saw Martha and Mickey together in the morning. Martha takes covering when it begins raining.
- After the dogs were trapped on the Lake Road, Lucky said even Martha wouldn't survive the fall. When the Fierce Dogs attacked, Martha picked up Sunshine who was running in circles.
- After Beetle, Thorn, and Spring fall into the Endless Lake, Martha jumps in to save them. She manages to save Beetle and Thorn, and bring them to the shore where Lucky helps her, but wasn't able to come to Spring's rescue. Martha is convinced by Lucky to not endanger her. Martha blames herself when Spring drowns.
- When Martha is introduced to the Four Paws idea, she catches on quickly. She agrees with four other dogs to follow the route along the cliff top.
- As the dogs walked along the gravel trail, Mickey nudged Martha on the flank. Martha replied saying she could have never imagined. She then talked about how her Longpaws would lock her in the back of their loudcage. Dart said that was scary but Martha said she got used to it. Lucky said he couldn't bear to be on a leash all the time and Martha agreed.
- When Storm wanted to fight the Fierce Dogs Martha told her she was a silly pup And should listen to the others. When Whine muttered on how Storm should go to the Fierce Dogs Storm attacked him. Martha jumped in front of her so she wouldn't hurt him. Storm then barked at Martha and told her how dare you. Then she attacked Martha. She went under Martha belly, turned around and sprang on Martha's back. Then Storm snapped at Martha's ears. Martha tried to shake Storm off but she kept nipping her. Martha then bucked and threw Storm off. Storm slunks pass Maratha and sat by Lucky. Lucky scolded her saying Martha is like her Mother-Dog.
- When the dogs camped in the abandoned Food House, Mickey tried to comfort Martha by licking her ear. Martha said she absolutely agreed since the path was the opposite Storm wanted to take. Martha found a box. She opened it and small, white ball scattered on the ground. Martha then licked a couple up and the rest of the dogs followed. Martha is later apologized to by Storm.
- Martha is in disbelief over the fact that Storm's ear was torn off and goes with her Pack to rescue the young Fierce Dog. Martha is the first to discover a rope hanging above them, after she and her Pack crept under the Fierce Dog lair. Martha tugs it to open up some steps to the lair.
- Martha is ordered by Sweet to help prepare Storm escape while the other dogs distract the Fierce Dogs. She also told Martha to prepare to fight if she had to. Martha replied saying she could stop a dog with one of her giant paws. Martha was standing by trying to get Storm to go.
- When The Trial of Rage was about to happen, Martha was still on the stage with Storm. Blade commanded her to get down. Martha ignored her and told Storm she didn't have to do this. Storm said she did. Then Martha climbed down the stairs. When the siblings were fighting, Martha told Storm to fight. Martha said she didn't care if Storm had to go to the Fierce Dogs, just as long as she didn't die. After Storm won, Martha and Moon help her down the stairs.
- Martha returns to the camp with Storm and her Pack and listens to Lucky when he tells them all about his dreams.
- Martha is known as a patrol dog
Martha says that she wants Storm to be a part of the pack when Whine was accusing her.
- Martha is fatally wounded by the Fierce Dogs. She dies and she tells Storm and the others on how she'll be at peace and join the River-Dog.
- During the Great Howl, she seen is with the others who had died. While Martha is prancing with them, she slows down so Wiggle can catch up.
In the Gathering Darkness arc
- When Sweet tells the Pack about the Wind-Dogs, Storm remembers that Martha used to tell her, Grunt, and Wiggle stories, and all about the Spirit-Dogs. She recalls how they didn't know anything because their Mother-Dog died before she could tell them, but that Martha war her Mother-Dog too. Although Lucky and Mickey had helped raised her, Martha was the one who came closest to replacing her lost Mother-Dog. The black water-dog comforted Storm when she was only a helpless pup; had shared the warmth of her body; protected her from the hostility of the other Pack members. Storm misses Martha, and thinks that when she died, it had been like losing her Mother-dog for a second time.
- That night, Storm has a dream where she asks Martha what they will do today, while she excitedly leaps around Martha's legs while nipping at her fur. She asks to do something fun, and suggests teaching her how to swim. Storm is so tiny next to Martha, and she realizes that she is still Lick. Martha swipes her paw at Storm gently, making her tumble over on the soft grass, but she gets up again. Martha bowls her over once more and Storm lays on he back, squirming with delight as the big dogs affectionately nuzzles her belly. Storm hops to her paws and pants eagerly as Martha licks her face, and she asks where Wiggle and Grunt are. Martha gives a soft, gruff laugh and wrinkles her muzzle, telling her to wait, but her head suddenly jerks up, and her eyes narrow. The large dog sniffs the breeze and Storm presses close to her foster-mother's flank, feeling her fur bristle. Darkness shifts at the edge of the trees, and Storm realizes that something is terrible, and she asks Martha what is it. Martha tells her to be quiet and wait, but Storm frets that it is Blade, and she asks Martha what they will do. The large black dog turns and dips her head to Storm's, and murmurs that she doesn't know what to do, as here is no danger out there. Storm begins to object, but Martha promises that there is no danger out in the forest. She licks Storm's ear, and tells the pup that the darkness is in her.
- Later, when the Pack discusses on whether the Spirit Dogs are real, Bella reveals that she thinks that the Spirit-Dogs are made up, and Storm objects that Martha taught her something, but is interrupted by Breeze.
- After Ruff, Rake, and Moon argue, the patrol dogs discuss and Daisy tells Storm that they need to talk alone. Storm slinks away from them, and suddenly is swamped for a longing for Martha, and greatly misses her foster-mother. She remembers how when Martha had been alive, there was always at least one dog who was happy to welcome Storm and let her cuddle against her huge flank and confide her hopes, worries, and miseries. Storm suddenly remembers her dream from the night before, and Martha' kind eyes fill her vision, her warm, gruff voice that had always been full of comfort telling her that there is darkness within her. Storm speaks to Lucky, and when he says that there is no need to worry about dreams, Storm wants to blurt out that Martha said something terrible, and she woke outside of camp, but she can't bring herself to say it, and realizes that she is ashamed to share what the dream-Martha had said with any dog.
- When Arrow and Storm both see a Sky-Dog, Storm determinedly thinks that she is not like him since she is one of the Pack and had been raised by Lucky and Martha, and not by Blade. Later, when Arrow explains how it was to be a Fierce Dog, Storm is thankful that she was raised by Lucky and Martha. When the Pack argues about whether Spirit-Dogs are real or not, Storm puts in that Martha had a very special relationship with the River-Dog, and she has a pang of memory.
- Martha's memento from her longpaws was a red square cloth.
- Unnamed littermates: Status Unknown
- "I miss Martha.... when she died, it was like losing my Mother-Dog for a second time."
- —Storm thinking about Martha A Pack Divided, page chapter 2
- "With a suddenness that took her breath away, she was swamped by longing for Martha. In that moment she missed her foster-mother so badly, she wanted to howl to the sky all alone. When Martha had been alive, there had always been at least one dog who was happy to welcome her, to let Storm cuddle against her huge flank and confide her hopes and worries and miseries."
- —Storm thinking about Martha A Pack Divided, page chapter 5
- "But that would be true whether the pups were here or not. They're so small. They could grow up to be kind and brave. Who are we to brand them 'bad' dogs when they've barely had a chance in life? They're just pups; we should remember that. And Lucky deserves our trust. He has brought Mickey back to us. We should be grateful that he's here after how he was forced to leave... Things have changed since the Big Growl, and we're all just trying to figure out how best to survive - it's like Mickey said, we need to stick together. If danger does come to the camp, we can beat it as a Pack, and Lucky knows better than any dog how to defend himself."
- —Martha Darkness Falls, pages 175-176
- "Come on, Sunshine. I know it's perfect here, but we'll find somewhere else that's just as good."
- —Martha to Sunshine The Empty City, page 245
- "Storm's right: We're all hungry. It's the hunger and cold that makes us snap at each other."
- —Martha to Moon and Bella The Endless Lake (book), page 49
- "I'll be with the River-Dog now, I'll be free... and I will always watch over you and the rest of the Pack."
- —Martha's last words Storm of Dogs (book), page 247
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Revealed in A Hidden Enemy, page 14
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 87
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Revealed in The Empty City, page 80
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in The Empty City, page 89
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revealed in The Broken Path, chapter 3
- ↑ Revealed in Storm of Dogs, page 247
- ↑ Revealed in A Hidden Enemy, page 242
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Revealed in The Empty City, page 162
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 90
- ↑ Revealed in A Hidden Enemy Pack List
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 121
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 163
- ↑ Revealed in The Endless Lake, page 219
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 32
- ↑ Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 49
- ↑ Revealed in A Pack Divided, chapter 3
- ↑ Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 175
- ↑ Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 248
- ↑ Revealed in The Endless Lake, page 33
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 141
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 176
- ↑ Revealed in Storm of Dogs, page 77
- ↑ Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 287