|I agree that we need to survive, Alpha. In fact, we all agree: surviving isn't possible in this situation. This Pack isn't working. So, Woody and Ruff and I have decided we're going to leave.|
|— Rake announcing that he will leave the Wild Pack in Into the Shadows, page 179|
| Rake's Pack|
Twitch's Pack, Wild Pack
| Species |
|Names|| Member: Rake
Patrol Dog: Rake
| Status|| Alive|
|Living||The Broken Path, The Endless Lake, Storm of Dogs, A Pack Divided, Dead of Night, Into the Shadows|
In the Original Series
- Rake is not mentioned in The Broken Path, although he is implied to be so, being in Terror's Pack.
- Although Rake is not mentioned by name, when Terror's Pack follows Twitch, he, along with five other dogs, creep out from under a bush after Splash greets Twitch. The Wild Pack are wary at seeing Terror's Pack, but Twitch's Packmates throw their forepaws on the ground, wag their tails, and dips their heads submissively. Twitch approaches his former Packmates and touches his nose to theirs, telling the Wild Pack that he wants to stay with those dogs as they are his Pack now. When some of the Wild Pack members protest, Splash tells them that Terror is gone and they might now be a real Pack, and several of his Packmates whine agreement.
- After Twitch becomes Alpha of the Pack, all the dogs surge toward him, congratulating him, nuzzling him, and barking.
- Rake is mentioned again, though unnamed, after Alpha's supposed death, when Daisy frets that if the Pack needs an Alpha, that dogs must fight for it. Lucky assures her that it isn't necessary, as when Twitch became Alpha of his Pack there was no aggression, because all of the Pack wanted him to lead.
- When Twitch's Pack claim that they want to fight for Storm, Twitch asks his other dogs- Rake, Breeze, Woody, and Omega what they think. Rake says that they will follow Twitch's lead, but are ready to fight. He explains that the can never repay Storm and the other dogs for what they did. When Twitch announces that they will fight alongside Sweet's Pack, his Pack howl in agreement.
- Later, when Arrow comes to the Wild Pack camp, Whisper says something to Rake, who goes up to Splash and murmurs in his ear.
- After the Wild Pack attacks the Fierce Dog Pack with a Giantfur, Sweet tells her Pack and Twitch's Pack that they will fight the Fierce Dogs. Storm shoves Rake out of her way to get to the front of the Pack.
- During the Storm of Dogs, Lucky can see several dogs attacking Mace, including Rake. They press against Mace and hold him back from Whisper. After the fight, when Storm falls through the ice, Lucky can see Sweet, Whisper, Moon, and Rake run to the edge of the water.
- After the Storm of Dogs, when the dogs smell prey, Moon, Bella, and Rake wait behind some trees to hunt. The rabbits explode from the warren, and run toward where Rake and the others are waiting. Bella and Rake both catch a rabbit, and add them to the pile.
In the Gathering Darkness arc
- Rake is first seen facing down Moon with Ruff, and the two bark angrily at her, their muzzles almost touching hers, and the fur on all of their spines are raised. Rake snarls to Moon that she is not his Alpha. Sweet and Lucky pace toward the three, but Rake, Ruff, and Moon are too busy glaring at one another to notice. Rake suddenly lunges and snaps his jaws on Moon's fur as she jerks back. The farm dog bites his shoulder, but Rake barks again that he doesn't take commands from her. He says that Alpha had told them that Twitch was in charge of the patrol, and Twitch should tell him what to do, not her. Moon says that regardless of whether he likes it or not, he will be on guard duty, but Rake turns to Twitch and asks him to tell her that she is undermining his authority, and Twitch glances from Rake to Moon to Ruff. Daisy yips that they should respect Moon, and Storm realizes that Thorn is about to fling herself violently at Rake's throat. Alpha shoulders her way into the quarrel and stands between Thorn and Rake. The two dogs dip their heads, cowed, each taking a step backward. Sweet growls that she won't tolerate her Pack fighting, and Rake opens his jaws to speak, then shuts them without thinking, and licks his chops nervously. Sweet scolds that both Twitch and Moon must be respected, and asks if her dogs understand, and Rake mutters that he does. While Alpha studies them severely, they keep their heads down, but when she leaves, the patrol dogs give each other looks.
- After a Great Howl, Storm accuses Breeze of not joining in the Howl, and she answers that although maybe for Ruff, Chase, and Rake they were angry and didn't join in, she just never howled with the Pack.
- After the challenge fight between Thorn and Woody, where Twitch lets Moon becomes the lead patrol dog, some of Twitch's old Pack mutter complaints under their breath, and Breeze, Chase, Ruff, and Rake look sullen.
- When a loudbird flies over the camp, Storm tells the dogs to be quiet, Rake turns on her, eyes wild, and protests that they are coming for them. Since Sweet and Lucky are distracted, Storm tries to take leadership, but is accused by several dogs that she isn't their leader, and Rake eyes Storm, lips peeled back from her teeth. After the loudbird leaves, when members of the Pack still fret, Lucky tells them that the danger has passed, and orders his dogs to return to normal routine, and Rake barks to his patrol to summon them for duty.
- When Sweet tells her Pack of the story of the wind-dogs, Rake gives a skeptical yip and curls his muzzle, sneeringly asking why wind grows more fierce after the Long Light, when the Wind-Dogs have already caught the Golden Deer. Storm wonders how Alpha will react to the mockery in his voice, but she remains calm and explains. When Mickey says that it makes sense, Rake quietly grumbles that it doesn't to him. Daisy fantasizes catching a Golden Deer, and other dogs agree, but Rake irritably barks that they are all wrong and keen to believe in the Wind-Dogs when none of them take the Fear-Dog seriously, though they should. He says that, as Terror had told them, he is the one who rules the Sky-Dogs. Arrow suggests that the Spirit-Dogs might not be separate beings at all, and says that the Fierce Dog's Watch-Dog sounds like Rake's Fear-Dog. When Storm hunts, she thinks about the Wind-Dogs and the Golden Deer, but wonders if Rake might have been right, and there are no Wind-Dogs. Storm decides not to dwell on Rake's wild claims, since he believes in the Fear-Dog. Storm and Whisper talk about the Fear-Dog, but Storm tells him to keep his voice down, since some dogs are clearly listening, and Rake is seen staring with his muzzle curled.
- When Moon is accused of stealing prey, Sweet asks Moon if she knows who did it, but the Farm-Dogs says that whoever did it was too clever for her, and she glares at Ruff's smug face, and at Rake. Storm wonders if Moon suspects them, and she glances at Ruff and Rake in horror, thinking that surely they would never do such a thing.
- When foxes come to the Pack, Lucky barks commands at the Pack, and tells Ruff, Rake, and Bruno to reinforce the other end.
- More Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- "You're not my Alpha dog, Moon!"
- —Rake to Moon A Pack Divided, page chapter 5
- "I don't take commands from you! Alpha said Twitch was in charge of the patrol dogs. That's who tells me what to do- Twitch! Not you!"
- —Rake to Moon A Pack Divided, page chapter 5
- "But they're coming for us!"
- —Rake to Storm about the loudbird A Pack Divided, page chapter 8
- "What's wrong with all of you? You're so keen to believe in these Wind-Dogs, but not one of you takes the Fear-Dog seriously. And you should! He's the one who rules the Sky-Dogs, after all. Terror told us so!"
- —Rake to the Wild Pack about Wind Dogs A Pack Divided, page chapter 10
- "But you don't know what we went through to stay alive when we knew our Alpha was a mad dog. When the Fear-Dog took him over, there was no way to tell which dog he would turn on, who he would scar or order to be starved. He used to make us chase imaginary prey that no dog but he could even see, until our paws bled and we couldn't run anymore. We should have risen up, I suppose, but--well, we were afraid. We were never safe from him. All we had was each other."
- —Rake speaks of the bond his pack had under Terror's command [[Dead of Night]], page 29
References and Citations
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Shadows, page 179
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Revealed in Storm of Dogs Pack List
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Revealed in A Pack Divided Pack List
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in The Broken Path, page 111
- ↑ Revealed in Dead of Night, page 7
- ↑ Revealed in Dead of Night, page 28
- ↑ Revealed in Dead of Night, page 27
- ↑ Revealed in Storm of Dogs, page 177