Below contains in-depth information for the Prologue of The Broken Path.
Chapter Number: Prologue
Lucky's Point of View
- Squeak and Yap are both play-fighting as different roles: Alpha and Omega. The two grapple with each other for a while before Squeak tricks Yap, teasing him and darting away.
- Instead of pursuing Squeak, Yap scents an unpleasant, burning odor and investigates it without alarming his mother-dog, believing he was a big pup. He enters the door to the longpaw house, the eye-watering scent strong in the kitchen. The longpaw pup is on top of a box over the oven, or "that shiny metal tower the longpaws used to singe their food."
- Initially, he believes she's playing with a new toy and wishes to join in. However, he notices that the stick had a red tip and smells acrid -- supposedly dynamite or some other firecracker. He alerts the longpaws at the sound of hissing.
- The longpaw pup drops the stick and the older longpaws come to scold their daughter. Yap is praised by the longpaws and told he was "so lucky. Lucky..."
- Back on the ground, Yap is praised by his mother-dog for alerting the longpaws. The newly named Lucky is proud of his name, but disappointed he did not choose his own name like the Wild Pack. His mother-dog corrected him, stating that Wild Dogs did that.
- His mother-dog recalls how Lightning was saved from the Sky-Dogs and the Forest-Dog was said to be lucky. She assures him that it will keep him out of trouble as a gift from the Forest-Dog. Yap is overcome with pride at his mother-dog's words. As he settles down to sleep in the shed with his litter-mates, he hopes he will always be Lucky.
- Yap is given his adult-dog name: Lucky.