|Too many mouths? I hope that's not a dig at us. You dogs of the old Pack can't go on blaming everything on us. After all, we chose to fight with you against the Fierce Dogs. And we chose to accept your invitation to stay.|
|— Woody to Daisy in A Pack Divided, chapter 10|
| Rake's Pack|
Twitch's Pack, Wild Pack
| Species |
|Names|| Member: Woody
| Status|| Alive|
|Living||The Broken Path, The Endless Lake, Storm of Dogs, A Pack Divided, Dead of Night, Into the Shadows|
Woody is a large, thickset, burly, long-haired, stocky brown male Beagle mix with thick legs, large forepaws a matted, mottled, scarred coat, a matted head and an enormous tongue.
In the Original Series
- Woody appears in Terror's forest as part of his Pack. He was the first enemy spotted when he discovered the strange dogs in Terror's forest. He spun frantically when he saw Lucky, Mickey, Bruno, and Fiery, barking a warning to his pack.
- Under the chaos without Terror's leadership when Storm kills Terror, Woody rallies with his Pack under the leadership of Twitch.
- Although Woody is not mentioned by name, when Terror's Pack follows Twitch, he, along with five other dogs, creep out from under a bush after Splash greets Twitch. The Wild Pack are wary at seeing Terror's Pack, but Twitch's Packmates throw their forepaws on the ground, wag their tails, and dips their heads submissively. Twitch approaches his former Packmates and touches his nose to theirs, telling the Wild Pack that he wants to stay with those dogs as they are his Pack now. When some of the Wild Pack members protest, Splash tells them that Terror is gone and they might now be a real Pack, and several of his Packmates whine agreement.
- After Twitch becomes Alpha of the Pack, all the dogs surge toward him, congratulating him, nuzzling him, and barking.
- Woody is mentioned again, though unnamed, after Alpha's supposed death, when Daisy frets that if the Pack needs an Alpha, that dogs must fight for it. Lucky assures her that it isn't necessary, as when Twitch became Alpha of his Pack there was no aggression, because all of the Pack wanted him to lead.
- When Twitch's Pack claim that they want to fight for Storm, Twitch asks his other dogs- Rake, Breeze, Omega, and Woody what they think. When Rake says that they are ready to fight and can't ever repay what Storm and the other dogs did for them, Woody, though unnamed, nods beside him.
- Later, when Arrow alerts the Wild Pack and Twitch's Pack that the Fierce Dogs plan on attacking them, Lucky lets Arrow back up to his paws, although Bruno, Bella, and Woody sit close to him, watching and ready to pounce in case he makes a wrong move.
In the Gathering Darkness arc
- When the Pack eats and it is the hunters' turns, it is noted by Storm that the hunters of Twitch's Pack rank below the original Wild pack hunters. Woody, Whisper, and Breeze fidget and mutter among themselves. When it is his turn, Woody looks agitated and glances hesitantly towards Twitch, as if waiting for his former Alpha's permission to eat. However, Twitch says nothing and when Sweet prompts Woody again, he steps up the prey pile.
- When Thorn challenges Twitch for Moon, Breeze points out that a dog can fight for Twitch too, and Woody steps into the circle and offers to take his place. Lucky is unsure, but the mottled dog says that he will fight for Twitch and he swings his head to eye Thorn and Moon. He tells the Farm-Dog that she has her champion, and now Twitch has his, making it equal, and he asks Alpha if she agrees, which she does. It is noted how skillfully and fierce he fought in the Storm of Dogs, while being bigger and more experienced than Thorn. Woody claws the earth aggressively. Sweet tells Thorn that she can withdraw from the challenge, but the young dog doesn't tear her gaze from Woody. She says that she would not withdraw, and will fight him. The air is filled with tension.
- Thorn makes the first move, hurling herself at Woody's throat, as if hoping to end the fight immediately. However, Woody is too big and strong to be knocked down so easily and he shrugs Thorn off, twisting away from her jaws and shunting his body hard against hers while she is still off balance. Thorn rolls on the ground, but gets up soon again, and attacks. But Woody is expecting such a rash move, and he dodges, ducks, and charges at her with his full weight, crashing into her belly and sending her tumbling. As Thorn tries to get up, he grazes his teeth harshly along her shoulder and nearly draws blood. Thorn struggles to her feet and the two face each other, panting and snarling. However, Twitch comes forward and stands between Thorn and Woody, exclaiming to stop. He nuzzles Woody's shoulder lightly and tells him that he appreciates his loyalty, but that his rank in the Pack isn't worth injury to two good dogs, nor a fight between the two. He announces that Moon can be the lead patrol dog. Most of the Pack are speechless. Some of Twitch's former Pack, however, mutter complaints under their breath, and Woody naturally looks shocked. Alpha tells Twitch that she understands why he was his Pack's Alpha, and she touches Woody's shoulder with her nose, and agrees that Moon should be the lead patrol dog, causing more muttering among Twitch's former Pack.
- When a loudbird flies above the camp, Woody exclaims that they have to do something, but he doesn't seem to have any ideas himself. He dodges from side to side in indecision. After the loudbirds have left, Moon expresses doubt that the danger has truly passed, and Ruff and Woody exchange glances. However, lucky tells the dogs to get back to their normal routine immediately, and Woody nudges Sunshine to her paws, then turns to trot over Snap, who is gathering her hunters.
- When Sweet talks to the Pack about Spirit Dogs, Daisy expresses hope that they are real, since they have a lot of mouths to feed. However, Woody shakes his head at that and frowns slightly, asking if too many mouths was meant to be a dig at Twitch and his former Pack. He goes on that the dogs of the old Pack can't go on blaming them for everything when they chose to fight the Fierce Dogs and accept the invitation to stay. Alpha barks that there must be no more quarreling and Woody falls silent, but Daisy grumbles under her breath that she wasn't pointing paws at any dog. Alpha reinforces that she won't force her dogs to believe in the Wind-Dogs, but wants respect about it, yet Sunshine still wants to hear a Wind-Dogs story. Woody nods and says that he would not mind a story, as he can decide whether or not he believes it. Other dogs encourage Alpha, but Storm notices that Woody had been the only one of Twitch's old Pack to speak up. As Whisper and Storm discuss the Fear-Dog on the way back from hunting, Whisper speaks too loudly, which gathers attention, and Woody's head is cocked toward them.
- When Moon is blamed of stealing food, but she protests that she did not do it, Woody barks that it is typical for Alpha's Pack to think that the rules don't apply to them.
- When the foxes are in the Wild Pack camp, Woody stiffens into this stalk-and-pounce position. Lucky barks commands at the Pack, and tells Woody to hold the center with other dogs. Lucky asks Storm to be in the very center, between Snap and Woody. Lucky is about to assign Arrow a position, but he shoulders past Woody and bounds to Storm's side, asking where he is. After the foxes have left, Alpha demands if anyone knows who caused the fox attack and killed the fox pup. Ruff and Woody simultaneously growl that they do not. The next day, when dogs of the Pack discuss why the fox pup was dead and who might have killed it, Woody shakes his head. He says that he does not understand, as he does not think that any dog in their Pack would do that. However, after the Pack starts arguing about it, and predicting certain dogs to have committed the crime, Lucky orders them to stop talking about the dead fox pup. When they come back to the clearing, Daisy yips that she doesn't think that the foxes are gone forever, and Woody twitches his ears, and agrees that they still believe one of them killed the pup, and that until they find the murderer and do something about it, the foxes wouldn't leave them alone.
- When Lucky creates the new rank of Scout-Dog, many dogs agree with the decision, and Woody's tail thumps as he says that he thinks it will help the Pack a great deal.
- When Storm goes hunting soon afterwords and tells Mickey that a nest of something has moved on, he tells her not to worry, as Woody might find something. Through the thick underbrush, he is seen snuffling around for prey. Mickey barks to Woody and the thickset dog bounds over. Mickey informs him that Whisper said there was prey ahead, and the two of them could check it out. The two spring ahead and disappear into the undergrowth. Once the hunting patrol joins together again, and Storm rips up a rabbit into shreds, woody mutters that it is no surprise, since she is a Fierce Dog. His words infuriate Storm, but Storm manages to control herself. Woody yips his agreement with Mickey to return to the camp after bickering, clearly relieved that the awful moment is over. However, Whisper races up to them and trembles against Storm's flank in front of Mickey and Woody. Whisper says that there is a giantfur, and Woody asks Mickey if they should follow the prey or retreat. He tilts his head at the Farm Dog. Woody watches him carefully, and Mickey decides to go, but very carefully. Whisper frets about the giantfur, but Mickey reassures him that they aren't a threat to dogs, and he trots in the direction of the prey trail, Woody behind him. As the dogs move forward, Whisper falls back to walk with Woody.
- Eventually, they find a strange creature, and Woody exclaims that it is a tusknose, and he explains that he has seen them in the forest before, but not often. Mickey licks his jaws and says it is fresh, but Woody cocks his head and paws carefully at the tusknose's stubby tail, and voices his doubts, saying that they should leave it alone. The dogs begin to turn back, not to risk it, but Storm says that they should take it back to camp. Whisper agrees with her, and Woody then changes his mind as well, growling in agreement. The scent of the tusknose draws him in. He tells Woody that it is free food for the Pack, and when Mickey objects, Woody interrupts that the rest of them agree that it is a good idea. He cocks his head and adds that the giantfur isn't there to complain. Storm offers to carry it, but Mickey snaps that if they do it, he, Woody, and Whisper would take turns. However, he does note that it would make a good meal, and Woody thoroughly agrees. Storm says that she will get the tusknose, and tells the three to wait there for now.
- However, giantfurs notice that they have taken the tusknose and begin to chase them. As the dogs run, Woody frantically barks that they are leading it to camp, and he says to turn back. The dogs turn, and when Storm finds a patch of bushes, she tells them to get in, and Woody and Mickey don't hesitate in diving among the branches. Inside the bush, Woody, Whisper, Storm, and Mickey hide. Woody says that the girantfur knows that they are in there, and he twists his head to stare up at the sound of crashing that echoes through the branches, but Storm gasps that she hopes it won't follow. However, the giantfur approaches, and Woody whines again that it knows, but the crashing suddenly stops, and the large creature turns away. Woody sighs that that was closer than he ever wanted to be to a giantfur.
- The dogs trudge back into the camp, with Mickey and Woody in the lead, and Storm and Whisper behind them. Lucky asks them what happened, and says that it looks like they were running from Lightning, and Woody groans that that is how they feel. Mickey explains what happened, and says that they all agreed to give it a try. But Woody growls that it wasn't every dog, and that Storm talked them into it, since it was their idea. Lucky turns on him and warns Woody not to lie to him. He growls that Storm would not suggest doing something so stupid, and accuses him of blaming her because she is a Fierce Dog. But Storm shoves past Woody and admits that it was her idea. Lucky tells them that they will all have to hunt again that evening, and tells them to get rest right then. Woody, Whisper, and Mickey slink off, heads low and tails clamped to their rumps. That night, Lucky leads the late hunt, and it is mentioned that he had made the last-minute decision to leave Woody behind. He had told them that the four were trying to help the Pack in raiding the giantfur's prey, but says that it was a bad decision, and that he should separate them for now.
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Woody was mistakenly described as brown-and-white.
- Woody was mistakenly described as pale cream.
- Gillian says that Woody is a mongrel but has some beagle in him. She also says that she wouldn't be surprised if he has some pointer in him too.
- "Typical! It's Alpha's Pack again, thinking the rules don't apply to them."
- —Woody when Moon is accused of stealing food A Pack Divided, page chapter 11
- "I don't understand. I don't believe any dog of our Pack would do this."
- —Woody about the dead fox pup A Pack Divided, page chapter 14
- "It will help the Pack a great deal, I think."
- —Woody about the new rank of Scout-Dogs A Pack Divided, page chapter 16
- Woody: "Come on, Mickey. It's free food for the Pack!"
- Mickey: "I still don't think--"
- A Pack Divided, page chapter 18
- Woody: "It wasn't every dog. Storm talked us into it. It was her idea."
- Lucky: "Don't lie to me, Woody. Storm wouldn't suggest anything so stupid. Are you blaming her because she's a Fierce Dog?"
- A Pack Divided, page chapter 19
References and Citations
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Shadows, page 189
- ↑ Revealed in Storm of Dogs Pack List
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Revealed in A Pack Divided Pack List
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Revealed in The Broken Path, page 111
- ↑ Revealed on Gillian's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed in The Broken Path Pack List
- ↑ Revealed in Storm of Dogs, chapter 19
- ↑ Revealed in A Pack Divided, page 80
- ↑ Revealed in The Endless Lake Pack List
- ↑ Revealed on Gillian's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed in Dead of Night, page 224
- ↑ Revealed in Dead of Night, page 117
- ↑ Citation Needed
- ↑ Revealed in A Pack Divided, page 79
- ↑ Revealed in A Pack Divided, page 117
- ↑ Revealed in Dead of Night, page 32
- ↑ Revealed in A Pack Divided, page 213
- ↑ Revealed on Gillian's Facebook