|"I want to be like Lightning. I could run that fast; I bet I could."|
|— Yowl about Lightning in The Empty City page 2|
| Species |
|Family|| Father: Unnamed Sheltie|
Mother: Unnamed Retriever
Brothers: Lucky, Snip
Sisters: Bella, Yip
| Status|| Unknown|
|Living||The Empty City, Darkness Falls|
Yowl is a male sheltie-retriever.
In the Original Series
- Before Mother-Dog begins telling her story, Yap’s littermates, including Yowl, are a jumble of warmth against him. Mother-Dog stands over her pups and nuzzles each one in order, licking their faces clean, and treading her sleep circle before curling around them to sleep. When Mother-Dog offers to tell them the story of the Storm of Dogs, Yowl and his littermates, excluding Squeak, passionately agree. Mother-Dog tells her pups the tale of the Storm of Dogs, and when she explains how fast Lightning was, Yowl desires to be like him, as he bets that he could run as fast as him. However, Squeak silences him and squashes his nose with a paw.
- When Mother-Dog mentions that their Sire-Dog’s body fed the Earth-Dog, the pups are suddenly solemn, and listen in silence, and as she reaches the part where Earth-Dog sends a Big Growl, Yap huddles close to his littermates. After Mother-Dog has finished the story, Yowl inquires if Lightning would always be with the Sky-Dogs, and his mother confirms that he would. Yowl then asks if another Storm of Dogs wouldn't occur for a long time, and his mother replies that she doesn’t know. Yowl then settles to sleep as his Mother-Dog tells her little ones to watch out for the Storm of Dogs.
- Yowl does not formally appear in A Hidden Enemy. However, he is most likely with his littermates and Mother-Dog when a wolf howl is heard.
- When there is a storm outside, Yowl and his littermates are worried. However, their Mother-Dog comforts them that there is nothing to be afraid of, as the Sky-Dogs are only playing. Yowl whimpers on how they sounded angry, but his Mother-Dog replies firmly that they were only playing.
- Yowl does not formally appear in The Broken Path. However, he is most likely mentioned after Yap alerts the longpaws of the fire. Yap and Mother-Dog walk back to the shed, where it is mentioned that they sleep with Yap's other littermates.
- The Endless Lake
- Yowl does not formally appear in The Endless Lake. However, when the longpaws open the door, he runs out with the rest of the pups. He is also likely there, when Mother-Dog saves Yap.
- Gillian is unsure on whether or not we will see more of Lucky's siblings in the future.
- Gillian says that Yowl, Snip, and Yip did not die an early death, and would be included among the category of 'siblings' mentioned in the prologues of the first series. However, she said that they would have been given to other longpaw owners at some point, so that Bella and Lucky wouldn't know what happened to them.
- Gillian says that although she is unsure if we will see Yowl, Snip, and Yip again, they would have been given their new names and lost their puppy names.
= Gender Unknown
- "But they seem so angry'"
- —Yowl about Lightning and the Sky Dogs Darkness Falls, page 2
- "But not for a long time, right?"
- —Yowl asking his Mother-Dog about the Storm of Dogs The Empty City, page 4
References and Citations
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page prologue
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Revealed in The Empty City, page 2
- ↑ Revealed on Gillian's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed on 
- ↑ Revealed on 
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Revealed in The Empty City, page 1
- ↑ Revealed in Darkness Falls, page 123
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 6
- ↑ Revealed in A Hidden Enemy, page 2